Monday, April 30, 2012

WTF is BB Cream!?


I found myself in a Walgreens looking for a new heavier face moisturizer because when the seasons change my skin gets insanely dry.  While I did find Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Night Cream (and highly recommend the whole Neutrogena Naturals line), I also stumbled upon this new product that will be the focus of today's blog.


Let's all just relax...yesssss I realize I didn't blog on Friday.  My bad...I ducked out of work and decided to be a slacker all day, we can all relate.  As my boss reads my blog..."everybody who still has a job please stand up...Shelley, NOT SO FAST."


OK, so I actually didn't know was "BB Cream" was when I bought it and honestly didn't even realize that's what it was because all I saw was "Miracle Face Perfector" and knew I was going to make the $12 investment.  


We're talking about BB Cream by Garnier


Visit the link...you NEED to understand this product

This product is being heavily marketed as NEW to the U.S. market, which had me wondering where did it come from and why are we just now hearing about it?!

The short history of this products is as follows:
  • BB = Beauty Balm.  Originally used by German dermatologists as an all-in-one product for sensitive skin
  • Korean film stars started using the product as the "perfect cosmetic" and it made it's way to the non-so-star studded market in Korea (p.s. this product makes you camera-ready...uhh...enough said)
  • At this point BB Cream is being used in Asian, European and Australian markets...we are basically the latest market to mainstream this product.
OK, so why Garnier?  Aren't they really known for their hair products?  Well kind of.  Garnier is the first brand to mainstream the product; however, Sephora carries a variety of BB Creams being sold as HD and Camera Ready Beauty Balms.  I love the Garnier one so much, I don't know that I'd invest in a more high end one, but if I did, it'd be the Smashbox version (mostly because I love their priming products and the 2 products are very similar).

Googling BB Cream or even visiting the Garnier link above will tell you all about what this product claaaaims it will do, but we all know we've bought a miracle product only to be as disappointed as I am in myself for liking the new Justin Bieber song (whatever you know you like his falsetto).  

So I'm going to tell you what I know about it:
  • Cream to powder finish (almost identical to the feeling of a face primer)
  • Essentially primer, tinted moisturizer and foundation all in one
  • Best if set with some type of powder: I use MAC Studio Fix for a heavier coverage or when I'm having a bad skin day, but you could also use a translucent oil-free powder if you want light coverage (I use MAC Prep+Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, but a great cheaper alternative is Revlon, they have several great face powders/finishers; PhotoReady Translucent Finisher is my favorite!)
  • Made of mineral pigments, so it's better as disguising pore than a tinted moisturizer
  • Provides a flawless smooth finish and evens skin tone
  • Not only a vitamin C based moisturizer, but it is also an SPF 15 sunblock
  • Only comes in light/medium and medium/deep.  I've used light/medium on a number of people and it's highly universal, medium/deep would work on darker (think Latina and darker Asian type skin tones...at this point it is not available for darker skin tones)
Quick Tip: Save time in the morning and skip the moisturizer, primer, and foundation...BB Cream will give you all of those benefits and a smooth/even look in seconds.  Apply small (dime-sized) amount with hands, making sure you've covered your face evenly.  Give your face a quick dusting of translucent powder and finish with a little bronzer.  This routine has completely replaced my usual morning routine.

ANYONE who has said they like the "natural look" would fall in love with this product.  Hell, I never say I like the natural look but when I use this product, my face looks fresh to death...and bitches love fresh to death.

One friend said her husband said her face looked "cleaner" (regardless of what he said, the fact that a boy even noticed means you must have it lol)

One friend said she felt like it "accentuated her peach fuzz" (uhh problem! Solution?  Top your BB Cream off with a translucent powder instead of a tinted powder)

One friend said "OMG Shellz you are so awesome for loving Bieber", actually I just made that up, but someone should say that to me so I feel less insecure about my BieberFever.

If you are STILL not convinced, checkout the commercial below...oh and here's the other thing...because it just hit the market, they are pushing it hard...which meeeeans...it's really easy to find it on sale.  Although, really?  It's only $12.00...don't be such a cheap bastard!


Side note: Those Gillette and Gillette Venus razors that I mentioned in last weeks blog are on sale this week (4/29-5/5) at Target, CVS, Walmart and Walgreens...now's the time to try 'em out!

9 comments:

  1. I just did all my research on this. I almost bought one from Korea because it was the original, but I've heard that several people/sources like Garnier too so decided against importing my face cream. Does it do anything for red skin? I wear this stuff that calms down the red in my skin, so I've been reluctant to switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to even your skin tone, so I would say it's going to help redness at least a little. Actually not that I've said that I just googled this topic to find that a lot people are reporting it improved their redness "dramatically"...could be the Vitamin C...hmmmm

      Delete
  2. hmmm...So, it's more than just tinted moisturizer? I use an awesome tinted moisturizer that replaced my moist/plus foundation morning routine. (of course still cover up and light dust of powder) I love my face tint moit - Revision- all skin colors- it's super moisturizing and good for skin apparently. I can only get Revision online or 'wellness' derm/spa type places and it's expensive.

    Now I'm wondering should I consider switching to BB????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally do not like tinted moisturizers. I feel like they don't provide enough coverage (especially when we have blemishes and discolorations) and they are always too greasy for my skin. Tinted moisturizer may work great for some, but BB is more inclusive product...it just does more.

      Delete
  3. I normally steer clear off garnier but I'm sold and I haven't even tried it yet. -kern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have great skin for this product...truuuust me! lol

      Delete
  4. This old lady is gonna try it! Thx for the tip ; )
    Eyebrow 101 next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andddddddd SOLD. I'm buying this ish TO-day! Woohoo :)

    ReplyDelete